Marathon Mindset

Everybody loves a challenge, and arguably for most people there is no greater physical challenge than a marathon. 26.2 miles of running which will likely take you between 3.5 and 4.5 hours - a very painful experience on the whole.

I have been very fortunate to have completed two marathons in the past couple of years, and in 4 weeks time I will have medal number three once I smash the Dublin marathon.  I have to say that I would encourage anyone who is thinking of doing a marathon to grasp the challenge with both hands, as it is a terrific test of character above other things. 

So what kind of mind-set do you need to get through a marathon in one piece.  One could say the same mind-set and attitude you need to get through life.  A marathon is one hell of a physical challenge, but also a very difficult mental challenge.  For me anyway it is 70% mental and 30% physical.  If you can run the marathon in your head and visualise you crossing the finishing line than you are 70% there.  The other 30% is the hard work you need to do in the training, and this is also vitally important.

Life is no different - you are what you think you are, and my own view would be that the greatest danger to man is his thoughts. Let me repeat this - THE GREATEST DANGER TO MAN IS HIS THOUGHTS!!!
A few years ago I read a book by Dr Josef Murphy called the power of the subconscious mind.  If you are interested in winning life's battles and gaining control of your thoughts - read this book - I bet you most want to do this but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of reading it - well that's up to yourself, but its an incredible read.

All of us are running the marathon of life every day.  There has been no other time in history when the stress levels of daily existence has been so high with raising family's, putting bread on the table, existing, getting a job, staying healthy, caring for loved ones and the list goes on and on.

The one thing we all need to do a little better is look after our mental health and be careful with the thoughts we put into our brain and process.  Negative thinking is poison and grows and pollutes all the good in our lives.  I try to avoid it at all costs but like everyone else am only human and have to deal with it from time to time.

My exercise program manages this for me and my rock solid mindset is the fire extinguisher I use to deal with the clouds.

So if you want to develop a winning marathon mindset, one that will equip you to deal with the hurdles life throws at you, invest in yourself and educate yourself  - it worked for me and I continue in this vain.

So yes I had a great run in the Dublin marathon, achieved a new personal best and the weather was even fantastic..... how about that and I haven't even ran the race yet :)  - am I counting my chickens.... maybe somewhat but it doesn't bother me.

#Attitude Is Everything

ConorComment